Posted Tue, 08 Oct 2024 20:51:06 GMT by
I've been curious why some parrots, like African Greys, learn to talk much better than others. I used to have a budgie who could say a few phrases, but nothing like the full sentences I've seen with Greys or Cockatoos. Is it just about intelligence, or is there more to it? My daughter has been asking for a macaw, but I've read mixed things about how well they pick up speech. Does anyone know why certain species are better at this than others?
Posted Tue, 08 Oct 2024 21:16:48 GMT by
Great question! It’s not just about intelligence—though that plays a role. Some parrots, like macaws, are social and bond closely with their humans, which can motivate them to mimic speech. But I’ve read that species like African Greys have a larger vocal range and more brain capacity for speech learning. If your daughter’s set on a macaw, they can still be great talkers with enough attention! Check out this site I found—scarlet macaw for sale — it has some good info on different parrot breeds and their personalities. 

Posted Tue, 08 Oct 2024 22:00:29 GMT by
I don’t have one myself, but a friend has an Amazon parrot that cracks jokes at the most perfect moments—it’s like they know exactly what’s going on! I think even those that don’t talk much still have a lot of personality and ways to communicate with us. I’m more of a dog person, but if I ever got a parrot, I’d love to teach it a few funny phrases!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.