In the fast-paced world of business, efficient accounting software is crucial to managing finances accurately and effectively. QuickBooks, a leading accounting software, serves as a vital tool for countless businesses. However, like any sophisticated software, QuickBooks is not immune to errors. One of the common issues users encounter is QuickBooks Error -6190, -816. This error can disrupt your workflow and cause significant inconvenience. But worry not! At QB Help Hub, we are here to guide you through understanding and resolving this error.

Talk to Real Person [ I N T U I T ] 📞 +1-800-413-3242

Understanding QuickBooks Error -6190, -816

QuickBooks Error -6190, -816 typically occurs when multiple users attempt to access the company file in a single-user mode. This error can also be triggered by a discrepancy between the transaction log file (.tlg) and the company file (.qbw). These discrepancies or access conflicts can prevent QuickBooks from opening the company file, leading to the error message.

Common Causes of QuickBooks Error -6190, -816

Before diving into the solutions, it's essential to understand the common causes behind this error:

1. Single-User Mode Conflict: When multiple users try to access the company file in single-user mode, QuickBooks can lock the file, resulting in Error -6190, -816.
  2. File Discrepancy: A mismatch between the transaction log file and the company file can trigger this error. This discrepancy can occur if a file update is incomplete or if the files are not synchronized.
  3. Corrupted Data Files: Corruption in the company file or transaction log file can lead to this error.
  4. Network Issues: Problems with the network or the location where the company file is stored can also cause Error -6190, -816.

How to Fix QuickBooks Error -6190, -816

Here are several methods to resolve QuickBooks Error -6190, -816. Follow these steps carefully to get your QuickBooks software running smoothly again.

Solution 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor

QuickBooks File Doctor is a handy tool provided by Intuit to fix common errors related to company files. Here’s how to use it:

1. Download and Install QuickBooks Tool Hub:

• Visit the official Intuit website and download the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
    • Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
  2. Run QuickBooks File Doctor:

• Open QuickBooks Tool Hub.
    • Select the “Company File Issues” tab.
    • Click on “Run QuickBooks File Doctor.”
    • In the File Doctor window, select your company file from the drop-down list. If you don’t see your file, browse and select it manually.
    • Choose “Check your file” and then click “Continue.”
    • Enter your QuickBooks admin password and click “Next.”
    • Let the File Doctor tool run and repair any issues it finds.

Solution 2: Verify Hosting Settings

Ensuring that the hosting settings are configured correctly can also resolve the error:

1. Open QuickBooks on the Host Computer:
    • Open QuickBooks on the computer that hosts your company file.
  2. Check Hosting Settings:
    • Click on “File” in the menu bar.
    • Select “Utilities.”
    • If you see the option “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access,” it means hosting is enabled, and you should leave it as is.
    • If you see “Host Multi-User Access,” click on it to enable hosting.

Solution 3: Rename .ND and .TLG Files

Renaming the .ND and .TLG files can help resolve discrepancies. These files are automatically recreated when you open QuickBooks.

1. Locate the Files:

• Open the folder where your company file is stored.
    • Look for files with the same name as your company file but with .ND and .TLG extensions (e.g., YourCompanyFile.qbw.nd and YourCompanyFile.qbw.tlg).
  2. Rename the Files:

• Right-click on each file and select “Rename.”
    • Add the word “.old” at the end of each file name (e.g., YourCompanyFile.qbw.nd.old).
  3. Open QuickBooks Again:

• Open QuickBooks and try accessing your company file again.

Solution 4: Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager

QuickBooks Database Server Manager helps in hosting your company files for multi-user access. Here’s how to use it:

1. Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager:

• Open QuickBooks Tool Hub.
    • Go to the “Network Issues” tab.
    • Click on “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” and install it if you haven’t already.
  2. Scan Your Company File:

• Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
    • Click on “Start Scan” and let it scan the folder where your company file is stored.
    • Once the scan is complete, try accessing your company file in QuickBooks.

Solution 5: Check for Data Damage

Data damage in your company file can also cause Error -6190, -816. Here’s how to check and repair data damage:

1. Run the Verify Data Utility:

• Open QuickBooks.
    • Click on “File” in the menu bar.
    • Select “Utilities” and then “Verify Data.”
    • Let the utility run and check for any data issues.
  2. Run the Rebuild Data Utility:

• If the Verify Data utility finds any issues, run the Rebuild Data utility.
    • Click on “File,” then “Utilities,” and select “Rebuild Data.”
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to rebuild your data file.

Conclusion

QuickBooks Error -6190, -816 can be frustrating, but with the right approach, it is entirely fixable. By following the solutions outlined above, you can resolve this error and get back to managing your finances without interruptions. If you continue to experience issues, do not hesitate to contact QB Help Hub at ☎️{+1–800–413–3242}. Our experts are always ready to assist you with any QuickBooks-related problems.

At QB Help Hub, we are dedicated to ensuring your QuickBooks experience is seamless and efficient. Remember, professional help is just a call away!